I don’t know about you but I love the winter holiday time. Especially Christmas! I also love baking more than cooking. But my favorite time to bake is Christmas! Like I go all out. Through out Jake and I’s marriage, though, I haven’t really had a chance to bake for extended family, except a couple of occasions.
You see, Jake and I spend the majority of our Christmas time traveling from one house to another. And all of the places are at least 2 1/2 hours or more away. So I can’t exactly make a dessert and it stay warm and fresh when we arrive. We don’t have any traditions, so far, but I’m determined that we start at least one this year. This year, I’m making a dessert for Jake and I to have when we celebrate, between just the two of us, this week. Yes. You read that correctly. We are celebrating this Wednesday night because on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, we will be out of town and celebrating with our parents’ families.
We’ve decided we wanted to make this an easy celebration between us because we aren’t that much into stressing over a meal and going all out to impress the other. After work, we will order pizza and I will make a dessert for us to enjoy, after we open gifts. I want to make this a tradition. To have a stress free night of not overdoing it and ALWAYS having a dessert that is homemade. After we open our gifts, we will then, give Tucker his gift, from Santa. (yes. I am that person. I’m not an animal person but I do believe that since the dog is part of our family, he deserves a gift, too.) I’m trying out a new recipe. It’s hot chocolate dump cake. I’ll let you know how Jake likes it and share with you soon!
What are some of your family’s traditions?
And she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them. Luke 2:7
I’m very passionate when it comes to politics but this election I’ve decided to not speak about it much, publicly. I would much rather just pray to God to give us the outcome he wants because I know he will only put who he wants as our next president.
With Election Day being tomorrow, I’ve been praying a lot over the past month that God’s hand be all over it and put the best candidate for our country in the White House. He knows our hearts and will protect each of us no matter how tomorrow turns out. He will be with us every step of the way, each day, every minute, every second. He isn’t going to put us through more than we can handle. I pray for his hand of protection on every citizen of this country. He knows what we are thinking and knows our names. So with knowing that, I know he will take care of our country.
Please, take a moment to listen to this beautiful song, “Stars”, from Skillet. Let it remind you of how big our God is and how much he cares for you. Let it remind you that he has not forgotten you and will always protect you. No matter what we are going through. He is such an amazing God!
- I’m not sure if it is just because I’m in a festive spirit, the weather is changing, or I’m looking forward to celebrating holidays. But I am so ready for Halloween on Monday. Last year I wanted to start a Halloween tradition of Halloween themed suppers. I made eyeball and brains (spaghetti) for that night with pumpkin shaped, chocolate covered pretzels for dessert. This year I’m thinking about a pumpkin graveyard cake, for dessert, but I’m stumped still as to what I should make for our actual supper. Any ideas?
- Random fact: I love smores and I am SUPER EXCITED that smore and campfire weather is finally here! I am all about cuddling up in blankets, eating tons of smores, and looking at the stars. I know, I’m a typical girl. And using a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup instead of a Hershey’s bar, if the only way to make a perfect smore! 😉
- I don’t know about y’all but I love me some Madea movies. If you haven’t seen them, GO WATCH THEM. They are hilarious and honest when it comes to talking about real family issues. BOO! A Madea Halloween came out last weekend. Jake and I went to see it with my family, during a weekend visit, and all of left laughing and still are talking about how good it was. And we enjoyed it so much that Jake and I are going to see it tomorrow night with a friend. Warning though! It does have a little bit of language in this one, so I would recommend leaving the children at home.
- Another fact about me: I love love love LOVE cheesecake and would choose that over any cake you offered me.
- I am so thankful for cooler weather in this hot Mississippi delta. We are finally out of the 90 temps and finally in the mid to low 80s. Hallelujah!
While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” Genesis 8:22
I’ve been away from blogging lately but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about it. I love and miss it but life has gotten in the way.
Jake and I have been busy traveling to see family and celebrate birthdays, getting ready for hunting season (for Jake to fill our freezer 😁), Tamale Festival, and just being with friends and family. I know. Your thinking this stuff would’ve made great blog posts. But I’ve tried to live in the moment.
As a new series, that I will do once a month, I’m going to document how we are doing with paying off our debt. Why am I doing this, you ask? I want to do something that will hold us accountable to continuing down this road so we don’t lose motivation. I will tell you more about this but I need to finish figuring out how we will go about this plan.
As part of this, I am asking for all tips and questions that you may have. I hope us going through this will answer whatever questions you have (and any questions, I will do my best to answer) or motivate you to pay down your debt to have a more financially free life to do fun things. To be clear and let all of you know up front, we are doing this to better our credit to buy a house next year. I know people will judged me for displaying this so publicly when it should be something we keep private within our marriage. But we feel this will help us and others and show us what we are doing wrong and could fix as we go through this journey. No! I will not be detailed as to how to how much we are trying to pay off, especially with how much our bills are. But I will let you know how we are tackling each debt, what changes we make throughout this journey, and how close we are to each finish line.
Join me, soon, as I reveal our first steps!
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrew 13:5
I love to see blogs and articles where I get to learn new quick tips from others. So I decided I would start Wise-day Wednesday. These blog posts will be where I give a few tips that I’ve learned so you can gain the knowledge I gained from others. They will be tips that I’ve learned from others, learned from my own experiences, or that I’ve found through articles, or other sites and think are interesting to share for others to know and for all of us to try and see if they work.
So let’s get started and I’m going to share three tips, today, that I have learned from my own experiences. I’m still sort of a “newlywed” so I’m still learning some tricks as others give me their knowledge from many years of marriage and living together. Ha!
Today’s Wise Wednesday is brought to you in the theme of Laundry!
- We all have those shoes that are our favorite and we want to wear every chance we get. And then, after a while they become a faded, dirty, we get mud on them, it rains outside and we walk in nasty puddles, and they lose that new shiny look they once had. Well if they are tennis shoes, I’ve got a tip that will help you make them look like you just bought them, again. Are you ready for it?!? Scrub them with toothpaste! That’s it! Hand wash them using toothpaste instead of soap and rinse off with water. It’s that simple. They will be squeaky clean and white for your next outing. 😉
- Are you tired of having to dry off with rough, scratchy towels after a bath? I know I am! How can you get that soft, lovable feeling back in them after many uses and washes that are wearing them out? Just wash them with warm, or hot, water and a cap full of vinegar or ammonia ( you pick ). Don’t put softener or detergent in that laundry load. I promise you, this is my favorite laundry tip! I do this to my towels every three months. Best tip my momma ever gave me!!
- Are you tired of waiting FOREVER for your clothes to finish, in the dryer? To speed it up put a clean, dry towel in with your wet load and it will reduce the time by 1/3 of the normal drying time. Saving time and money on that energy bill! ( We obviously can tell I love when I get to save money. Ha! )
What’s some of your favorite tips? I love learning new things to make life a little easier and would to gain your knowledge!
For the Lord gives wisdom: from his mouth came knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6
We changed so much since our wedding day. And it’s all in a good way. We’ve grown so much closer.
This has been a hard but good year and I’m so thankful you were here to walk through it with me. Thank you for being there during the many moments I would cry for no reason. For the moments I would stress over little things that would happen. For protecting me. For hugging me during my many struggles. For taking care of me when I needed it.
Thank you for loving me unconditionally and leading our marriage. Thank you for praying with me before we go to sleep. Thank you for putting God before me.
You’ve made me a much happier woman than I was before we ever met. Thank you being patient and answering my list of questions, taking rejection 3 times before I finally agreed to date you, for waiting until our wedding day to FINALLY say “I love you”, and for being always honest with me. (I may have put you through a hard and long process. 😉)
I can say, without a doubt, you are truly my best friend and I’m so thankful God let me get to go through the rest of our lives together.
Here’s to 100 more years together, Pookie!
I like you!😉😘
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews 13:4
I’ve dedicated this Friday’s Random Five to setting some new goals for April.
- I have a hard time
dealing feeling overwhelmed with a lot of STUFF surrounding me. So to fix this problem to relieve stress, and make coming home more relaxing, I’m going to try to rid my entire house of unneeded stuff.
- Make healthier choices when it comes to meals. I’ve been really slacking in this area and want to better choices to take care of my body.
- find some sort of workout routine, even if it’s 15 minutes a day
- start a routine of going throughout the house for 5 minutes and clean up any small stuff I can take care of before I leave, instead of waiting and overloading my cleaning after work or on weekends.
- come up with a blogging schedule and make it more apart of my life. I love this space and want to utilize it more often.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17